CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

i am

a retard.
Although, I can't really be at fault for that. Who blames a retard for anything?
So I've decided to make my life miserable and overwhelm myself yet again by jumping into server training at work.
I've been a waitress before. I know the schtick.
But does my manager know that?
Rewind to this afternoon.
I knew it was an ominous sign that the weather was cloudy, windy, and it actually sprinkled.
(I know. Gasp! This is southern California, land of perpetual and eternal sunshine. It doesn't sprinkle here! What gives?)
I'm stationed out on the patio - a hot commodity for the dinner crowd. People wait for an hour and a half on weekends just to get a chance to eat at Casa de Bandini, and even longer if they want the patio.
Sorry.
Back to the story...
.dniweR
Tony Hawk comes in with his wife and baby girl. No big deal 'cause he comes in often.
He sits on the patio - where he always sits.
(Why does he always sit there?)
We get him situated, drinks out, food ordered, all is well and happy in the world.
And then his wife asks me for a coat.
"A coke?" I clarified.
"A co.." she mumbled and pointed to her left.
I looked over and saw that Tony was rubbing his daughters bare legs.
"Oh, a coat?" I clarified again.
She nodded yes.
Fine.
Get the woman a coat.
It's windy and her baby is cold.
It's southern California.
Nobody knows what to do when water begins to leak from the sky.
Cars start braking like it was a downpout from a tropical storm.
I would know because last year working at the CRC i had to drive home in tropical storm weather.
People brake.
Often.
Damn the rain, we'll sit outside anyway, is the kind of attitude some people have.
So she's cold.
Don't ask questions.
Just get the woman a coat.
A coat.
Where to get a...coat.
Manager.
Aha.
I've seen you with a reboso before. (Spanish word for this warm scarf like piece of warm fabric.)Manager wants to keep woman happy because woman is married to rich man.
He scrambles to find one he's hidden away in the shed, (it's a Mexican restaurant, of course they have a shed), and insists on handing it to her himself
at which point she looks up at him and says, "I wanted a coke."
Really.
The coke I asked you if you wanted?
Twice??
Needless to say I looked ridiculous to my manager.
What a great impression to make.
Look, I wanted to say to him but didn't get an opportunity to explain, I'm not in the habit of handing out blankets and coats to random tables.
Besides - we don't even carry coke.
We carry Pepsi.
I don't give someone ice when they ask for rice or give them a lime when they ask for the time.
Although if i did any of those things, in my defense, those mariachis sing pretty damn loud and it's not uncommon to have to read lips and yell over them.
Not that the mariachis were playing at the time of the incident I just described.
But that is beside the point.
The point is,
the point is...
it's late.
And I'm tired.
My eyes hurt.
I have two essays due tomorrow and I have completed 0% of them.
I am tired.

ps - i am not going to proof read this email for grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, or correct any stray points I may have intended to make but got off track from. You will have to make your own inferences if I began to ramble. I absolve myself, as I do with most things.

1 comments:

Bonnie said...

I didn't know you had a blog!

Anyway, I loved this post. It was lovely, completely tangent filled and funny. I'm glad you got the lady a coat and the manager thought he'd swoop in and save the day and looked like a fool at your faulty hearing's expense. Perfect.